Discovering Charming Bruxelles

I was scrolling through my old photographs collection and stumbled upon my first solo travel. Looking back, I think I did it well. A recollection of flashing memory.

Summer 2008. Almost reaching Fall season I guess. But weather was friendly still for venturing outside world. So I jumped on a train from Den Haag Central train station. Me and my backpack and my first ever camera that I proudly bought from my pocket money saving. A Nikon D40x with it's original lens. Ah still remember how proud I was back then to have it. Even it was a secondhand piece, fairly new. The previous owner was a good-looking photographer based in Amsterdam and had only owned it for 3 months.

Back to where I was departing from. Den Haag was one of my fave student cities in Holland. Not to mentioned that it has a moslem centre where all moslems from different part of the area have weekly gathering and praying. And a lot of islamic activities which I always missed till now. It was an inspiring time of my life. Where I had a chance to look at my islamic root and learned again from zero. Subhan'Allah.. an eye opener journey. I shall share this part on different topic.




As a student, for sure I looked at the cheapest option to reach Bruxelles from Holland. So a train from Den Haag to Deventer and the border of southern Holland it was. Changing train in the border with another train. Quite a short and panoramic train journey it was. The everglades view of sub urbans and farms. Green and vast.

It was also my first  couchsurfing experience. That year was a good year to travel and discover local communities on Couchsurfing. I still had a big trust to make a move and asking local alike. Right now, I probably have no courage to do so. My mind will questions a lot about trustworthy of a stranger that I am talking to. Am just being more cautious :)

Praise be with Allah swt, my first hosts were wonderful. They're local students studying art and creative living in the heart of the city. Problem with city space, you gotta work hard to find parking space :) I considered myself lucky, my hosts were attentively taking me to few places that offer not just a view. But also some insights that I haven't seen on a Travel Guide book.

This was the memory lane where I surfed my hosts apartments in a short weekend.






I surfed the famous Belgian comic strip center. Oh how I wish I could afford to buy few souvenirs back then. Among all the comic shops I fond of, I spent hours at an-all-about-Tintin-shop.  I used to be a big fan of 'Tintin' the cartoon character, an intrepid young investigative reporter who stars in a series of popular Belgian comic book albums.  


Exploring Brussel’s iconic sights on my own was highlighting my solo trip.  Parc du Cinquantenaire, Grand Place, Manneken-Pis and yes no visit to Brussels without munching the real Belgian chocolate waffles. It was only 50 cent for the original flavour, and additional on whatever topping you want to add. I'm craving for one as I am writing now :(


Oh hello, the little statue legend has speaks for itself.  The famous Manneken-Pis remains the emblem of the rebellious spirit of the City of Brussels. I think as of now his wardrobe counts over 1,000 suits. If this lil guy has wardrobe, I wonder how huge the space must be :D 


That night I was being a cheeky monkey. Can't resist myself for all this comforting sights in front of me. Belgian truffles and chocolates are best. The shops I went into said visitor were free to try one on each flavours. So I did. Hiihihi... The shop was kinda full swing I remembered, so I sneaked here and there to try as many truffles as I can. Forgive me lord :)

On a good note, I did buy a few chocolates tho. Such a yummy night.




One of my fave walks that night, as seen on this shot. A heritage square I said myself. Intricate design of hundred years of buildings.



The next morning, my kind-hearted hosts guided me to the Flea Market at Jeu de Balle. One of the best places still left in the world for antique hunting!  And it is considered one of Europe's best flea market. Its a vast square full of antiquities. Looking back, if I already have a home back then, I guess I would have shop most of my interior here. Hehehe.. 

What fascinates me, was to see many precious stuffs I had probably never seen before. One of them was an array collection of masks warrior from hundred years ago. 
Definitely a must list to discover. 



I almost cried when I found this antique camera collection. I touched most of them. Precious stuffs... I could tell. Most of them were in good conditions and still functioning. Too dear I missed to buy any. 


Ah,  on a good note. I made friends with my host's cat. Isn't he beautiful? 
Helloo Magzy, I missed you to dear! 


Having gone through all this moment, the next photograph is one of my fave among all. I love how the beauty of the sky unfolds the landscape under. And thanks to the old man laying down on the grass making its proportion as perfect as it can be. The kaleidoscope summer to fall colors were represented by the trees. You too, are free to draw your perspective if you wish too.. 


 I am thankful for my beautiful hosts. Hope you both well and in shape down there.



Comments

Popular Posts